DARUL ULOOM DEOBAND, MAZAAHIRUL ULOOM AND TABLIGHI JAMAAT
A QUERY FROM MALAYSIA
RE: PERTAINING TO DIFFERENCES IN DARUL ULOOM DEOBAND AND MAZAHIRUL ULOOM SAHARANPUR
The reason for this enquiry is to have a proper and an unbiased understanding of the causes of the ikhtilaaf, operational approach and how the respected elders of the ‘opposing’ sides dealt with and treated each other. We also wish to defend ourselves from biased and wild attacks levelled by certain quarters.
1) Briefly, please explain what caused such huge differences and disputes which necessitated the split and the formation of opposing institutions regarding both the abovementioned Darul Ulooms.
2) Are there any marked differences in the operation and management of both sides in both Darul Ulooms?
3) We believed that Mashaaikh from each quarter accorded such love and respect normally witnessed and demonstrated by only pious Mashaaikh and Elders of the past. Could Maulana throw some light on this. We do hope that your reply will further enhance the image of the Institutes and Ulema in our sight. Was-salaam
(End of the query)
The concise replies to your questions are:
(1) Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: “Hubbud Dunya (love of the world) is the root of every evil.” Westerners, making a slight change in this narration say: “The love of money is the root of all evil.” According to Islam, everything besides Thikrullah and whatever aids Thikrullah, is the dunya, and Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: Ad-Dunya jeefah (The world is carrion).
It was this jeefah – the love of worldly carrion – which had caused the lamentable and heart-rending split in these August Institutions. Allah Ta’ala was given a back seat and the nafs took over, hence the daggers were drawn to cut the throats of one another.
(2) There is no marked difference in the modus operandi and systems of the opposing Darul Uloom camps. They teach the very same Aqeedah and Shariah.
(3) You are deluded in your understanding. If the respect and love which had diffused every capillary of the former Aakaabir who had established these wonderful Institutions had existed in the Ulama who were responsible for the fracas, then the satanic splits would not have occurred. But the nafs demanded the fulfilment of its dictates of hubbud dunya/jah and hub-e-maal, hence respect and love were expunged from the equation. Brother to understand these satanic developments it is necessary to be on the ground where we were and saw the unravelling shaitaaniyat at first hand.
We say with sadness that there is no conundrum in the differences between the then senior Ulama of Darul Uloom Deoband and Mazaahirul Uloom which led to the shaitaani split up of these two august Institutions of Ilm-e-Deen.
The one and only cause for the splits was Hubbud dunya/jah and Hubbul Maal –the love for the world and for name, fame and money. The very same evil has caused the split in the Tablighi Jamaat. However, regarding the Tabligh Jamaat, an additional factor was their haraam ghulu’. These twin diseases had overwhelmed the intelligence of the Ulama, hence they became forgetful of the Objective of Life and of the Hisaab in Qiyaamah. They hankered after the jeefah (carrion) of the dunya, hence they became implacable enemies.
The splits were not motivated by Deeni objectives. The Deen was the furthest from the minds of the contending Ulama. Brother, we are in the era known as Aakhiruz Zamaan. These kinds of fitnah have been predicted by Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Instead of being Guiding Stars in the darkness for the Ummah, the Ulama have become pirates and misguides.
The Ulama are concerned with their mini-empires, their particular Darul Uloom buildings. They lack vision. They are not concerned with the Ummah burning in the fires of fisq, fujoor, bid’ah, kufr and fitnah.
Darul Uloom Deoband had committed one of the worst acts of Shaitaaniyat when the Ulama had organized the 100 year merrymaking festival to celebrate the centenary of Darul Uloom Deoband. It was a haraam celebration from beginning to end. It was a lamentable and grievous betrayal of the Deen and of the Maqaasid for which the Akaabir had established that august Institution.
Brother, Ilm is no longer imparted for the Pleasure of Allah Ta’ala. The objective of Ilm today has become satanic. It is being imparted for worldly objectives, and this was predicted by our Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Since the hearts iof the Ulama of this era are corrupt to the core, their brains have become fossilized
and incapable of seeing the light of Hidaayat. All fear for Allah Ta’ala has departed from them. Therefore they have become a Jamaat of Bootlickers – bootlicking and emulating the Yahood and Nasaara right into the “lizard’s hole”.
The Ahaadith are replete with predictions of the type of Ulama-e-Soo’ of the later times – times such as we are currently experiencing. Just imagine, Ulama or so-called Ulama or Munaafiqs posing as Ulama and masquerading as Muslims – going to the kuffaar court to plead for the Musaajid to remain closed – pleading for the Daily Fardh and Jumuah Salaat to be banned, and trying with might and main to prove to the kuffaar court that the Houses of Allah are the worst spreaders of disease.
In former times, every Madrasah was a veritable Khaanqah and every Ustaad was a Shaikh who diligently kept under observation the Akhlaaq of his students. But the Darul Ulooms are now staffed by only mercenaries. The only objectives are the dunya and the nafs. That is the root cause of the problems and the infighting in every Madrasah. The contending groups are jockeying for cheap and stupid power to gain cheap and stupid publicity and fuloos (carrion money).
This was the only cause for the break up of Darul Uloom Deoband, Mazaahirul Uloom and for the Tabligh Jamaat. O our Brother! Cry and complain to Allah Ta’ala. May Allah Ta’ala have mercy on this errant and lost Ummah.
As bitter as the reality is, the Haqq has to be proclaimed. We do not belong to those about whom the Qur’aan Majeed says:
“They take their Ulama and their Buzroogs as gods besides Allah, and also Isaa Ibn Maryam (they take him for a rabb).”
12 Ramadhaan 1441 – 6 May 2020
At least 22 people were killed when lightning struck a market in Azad Kashmir on Monday, local media and officials reported. The deceased included nine members of Tableegi Jamaat, who were staying at a nearby local mosque, and two army troops, local broadcaster Aaj News reported, quoting offi-cials of Azad Kashmir Disaster Management Authority. The incident took place in Leswa town of Neelam Valley — a famous tourist desti-nation — near Line of Control, a de facto bor-der that divides disput-ed Kashmir valley be-tween Pakistan and In-dia. The Leswa Market was completely de-stroyed by lightning, of-ficials said.
Several vehicles of tour-ists were also missing due to torrential rains that caused flash floods in the region, they add-ed. Pakistan‟s army troops have joined local administration in the rescue operation.
Allah Ta‟ala says in His Glorious Qur‟aan:
“The Thunder recites His Tasbeeh with His Hamd (Praises), and (so do the Malaaikah) out of Fear. He (Allah) des-patches the Lightning, and it then strikes whom-ever He wills. (Whilst this Punishment of Allah occurs), they (the mis-guided people) dispute regarding Allah (His Shariah). (Know!) That He is Most Stern in Pun-ishment.”
Ra‟d, i.e. the thunder or the Angel Ra‟d who drives along the rain clouds and all the Ma-laaikah quiver with Fear for Allah Ta‟ala. Therefore, they recite His Praises. But insolent people, in their immoral holiday resorts, and in their daily lives reckless-ly and flagrantly deny Allah‟s Shariah. While some brazenly reject the Shariah, other deviates misinterpret the ahkaam to suit the narratives of their carnal lusts.
Undoubtedly, the epi-sode in Kashmir is Al-lah‟s Athaab. May Allah Ta‟ala save us from His Wrath.
Q. The Tabligh Jamaat says that first comes da‟wat, then Ibaadat. Is this correct?
A. For a Muslim the first act is Ibaadat. Fardh, Waajib and Sunnatul Muakkadah cannot be delayed for da‟wat.
Da‟wat is an act which blends into one‟s daily life, starting at home with naseehat to the wife and children. It is to be executed whenever one finds it opportune. Da‟wat is not confined to tabligh jamaat activity. Allah Ta‟ala has created us for His Ibaadat. All other Deeni activities are subservient and secondary to Ibaadat. The Tabligh Jamaat talks drivel and is lost in gulu‟ (haraam bigotry).
From Mauritius a Molvi Sahib querying the status of the Tabligh Jamaat, writes:
Q. What is the status of the Tabligh Jamaat. Among its beliefs, practices and attitudes are the following:
(1) They regard their specific methodology of tableegh to be Fardh-e-Ain. In both belief and practice they display this attitude.
(2) They narrate maudhoo’ (fabricated) and extremely dha-eef (weak) narrations, and justify these on the basis of far-fetched interpretation.
(3) They resort to tahreef-e-ma’nwi of the Qur’aan and Ahaadith, e.g. they apply the Aayaat and Ahaadith of Jihad to their specific method of tableegh. The fadhaa-il which are related specifically to Jihad are applied to their tareeqah of tableegh.
(4) They regard only their method to be valid tableegh while they despise all other forms of Tableegh such as Madaaris, Khaanqas, etc.
(5) They are opposed to Qur’aan dars. They believe that teaching the Qur’aan leads to disunity.
(6) A mubah practice leads to fasaad on account of the excesses.
(7) Unqualified persons are appointed zimmidaars.
What is the Shariahs view regarding the Tabligh Jamaat movement on the basis of these factors? Is it therefore not proper to declare the Tabligh jamaat a deviant sect?
Undoubtedly, there is much ghulu’ (haraam extremism) in the Tabligh Jamaat. All the facts you have enumerated, besides No.5, are correct. The Tabligh Jamaat is undoubtedly veering away from Siraatul Mustaqeem.
With regard to No.5, above, the Jamaat is not anti-Qur’aan. Anyone who is opposed to the Qur’aan becomes a kaafir. The reason for not allowing Qur’aan dars, is to avoid baatil being imparted. Qur’aan dars is not to be imparted by laymen. Most of the speakers and ‘zimmidaars’ of the Jamaat are from the masses or lack adequate expertise. Baatil interpretations from baatil commentaries will be propagated under the auspices of the Tabligh Jamaat if Qur’aan dars is allowed. The Tabligh Jamaat has six principles. It is necessary that they remain within the confines of their SIX points in order to ensure that the Jamaat stays on the course of the Shariah. Divergence from the six points will lead to greater corruption and propagation of baatil.
The Tabligh Jamaat is a mass movement, hence infiltration by baatil and corrupt elements cannot be avoided. People from baatil sects can easily infiltrate and misguide their audiences with baatil commentaries. Therefore not allowing Qur’aan dars is valid.
Although it is conceded that the Tabligh Jamaat has strayed from Siraatul Mustaqeem, at this juncture it is not appropriate to label the Jamaat a deviant sect. However, if the Jamaat continues along its current trajectory of ghulu’, then the time will come when there will be no option but to excommunicate the Tabligh Jamaat for having become one of the baatil sects. It is our fervent dua that the elders of the Jamaat divest themselves of the bigotry and ghulu’ which have fossilized their thinking. Thus, they are unable to discern the grievous errors which have already corroded the Jamaat and split the Jamaat into two hostile factions each one harbouring intense shaitaani hatred for the adversary.
It is undeniable that innumerable Muslims all over the world have derived considerable Deeni benefit from the activities of the Jamaat. In the curriculam of the Jamaat there is nothing in conflict with the Shariah. It is the shaitaani attitude of ghulu’ which has developed in the Jamaat which threatens the existence of the Tabligh jamaat as a movement of Haqq.
The Tablighi groups all over the world are still engaging in teaching only what the Shariah allows. Their ta’leem is restricted to the Kalimah, Tahaarat and Salaat. They are not propagating beliefs of baatil. It is only their evil attitude of ghulu’ stemming from ujub and kibr which has sullied the Jamaat. Their success which they lamentably base on numbers, has intoxicated them with pride and vanity, hence the ghulu’. They measure success on the basis of the number of people attending Ijtimas, on the number of busloads of people, and the number of jamaats sent out.
They have not understood the true Maqsad of the movement. They are fossilized into the idea that the Tabligh Jamaat is the Maqsad (the actual objective of tabligh). They have also failed to understand the meaning of Tabligh, hence they believe that only their specific methodology is tabligh, and all other Deeni activities are futile. This attitude is indeed lamentable and dangerous.
Despite the many ghulu’ deviances, it is not proper at this juncture to brand the Tabligh Jamaat a sect of baatil. The Jamaat is like a damaged ship, listing on its side and adrift on the ocean. It can still be saved from sinking and perishing. It is incumbent for those Ulama who understand the ghulu’ of the Jamaat, to resort to Amr Bil ma’roof. Intelligent people who are not Ulama should also draw the attention of the Jamaat people to their grave errors. Silence and condonation of the evil ghulu’ are aiding the process of the destruction of the Jamaat.
The ghulu’ compound of the Jamaat consists of a number of evil ingredients:
(1) The notion that Tabligh is confined within the specific methodology of the Tabligh Jamaat.
(2) Deriding all other forms of Tabligh.
(3) Believing that the Tabligh Jamaat is like the Ship of Hadhrat Nooh (Alayhis salaam). The implication of this corrupt understanding is that whoever is not in the Tabligh Jamaat is a kaafir doomed for perdition.
(4) That the specific method of the Tabligh Jamaat is Fardh-e-Ain.
(5) Misinterpretation of the Qur’aanic Aayaat and Ahaadith to convey the idea that the Fadhaa-il for Jihaad substantiated by Nusoos apply to the specific Tabligh Jamaat methodology. This is tahreef (haraam interpolation and misinterpretation).
(6) Insisting stupidly on joining the Jamaat for extended periods although adequate arrangements for the family at home are not made. Many Tablighi chaps abandon their families, leaving them without sufficient house expenses and without mahrams.
(7) Condoning, in fact, even encouraging women who join the Tabligh Jamaat to travel without mahrams if not available.
(8) The Makshufaat groups which are erroneously dubbed ‘masturaat jamaat’.
9) Wasting huge sums of money on ijtimas when there is no real and no imperative need. These ijtimas are gradually assuming bid’ah proportions.
10) Amenability to Bid’ah. Since the focus has shifted from the Maqsad of Tabligh, Bid’ah has crept into the Jamaat. Among their Bid’ah acts is the haraam act of expunging the Shariah’s rule pertaining to Sunnatul Muakkadah Salaat. Ittisaal (i.e. joining or performing without undue delay) between the Fardh and Sunnatul Muakkadah is Waajib. After the Fardh of Zuhr, Maghrib and Isha’, there are two raka’ts Sunnatul Muakkadah. Instead of engaging in the Sunnatul Muakkadah immediately after the Fardh, the Tablighis have introduced the practice of kitaab-reading. This act is in flagrant disregard for the Shariah. They accord preference to their own methodology over the Shariah. Thus this practice is Bid’ah.
Another Bid’ah, is to interfere with the concentration of the Musallis. Even before the Musallis have completed their Sunnat Salaat, the Tablighis rush to the front, face the Musallis who are still engaged in Salaat, and disturb them with their announcement to join in the bayaan. This is indeed shameless and demonstrating disregard for the communion the Musallis have with Allah Ta’ala in Salaat. They lack the patience to wait until the Musallis have completed their Sunnat and Nafl Salaat. The haste they display in this impermissible performance is further evidence for the Jamaat having lost focus of the actual objective of Tabligh.
(11) Loss of Focus. A glaring example of loss of focus is the Jamaat’s wooing of villains such as Tariq Jameel whose religion brings within its scope acceptance of the baatil of Shiahs and of any and all hues of Fussaaq and Fujjaar. Merely because this Dajjaal is able to attract crowds, does the Jamaat deem it appropriate to include the villain within their ranks regardless of his blatant Shar’i infractions. Since the Maqsood is no longer the Pleasure of Allah Ta’ala, shaitaan has adorned baatil with deceptive ‘hikmat’ for acceptance by the Jamaat.
Once the public in Deoband had desperately kicked up considerable shaitaani smoke against Hadhrat Maulana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi (Rahmatullah alayh) who had rejected the proposal to appoint a prominent faasiq to be a member of the Shura Council of Darul Uloom. The severity of the fitnah had threatened the closure of the Madrasah. Senior Ulama advised Hadhrat Gangohi to accept the membership of the faasiq to save the Madrasah closing. Thousands of Students would be deprived of Ilm-e-Deen if Darul Uloom had to close.
Hadhrat Gangohi, Imaam-e-Rabbaani, resolutely stated: The Madrasah is not the Maqsood. Ridha Ulaahi (the Pleasure of Allah) is the Maqsood.”
If the Madrasah has to close in the wake of the fitnah of the juhala, let it close. They will be hauled into the Divine Court to answer for their shaitaaniyat. Hadhrat did not compromise with baatil. The fitnah was extinguished and the faasiq was not accepted. This should be the attitude of the Ahl-e-Haqq.
Besides the aforementioned list of baatil, there are other infractions of the Shariah as well. Nevertheless, at this juncture it would not be proper to proclaim the Tabligh Jamaat a deviant sect among the 73 Firaqah Baatilah. We can only make dua that such a stage shall not be reached.
The need is to strive to reform the Jamaat by deracinating the bid’ah, baatil and ghulu’ which permeate all levels of the Jamaat – seniors and juniors, and which gnaws the foundations of Tabligh Jamaat. The Jamaat elders should become cognizant with reality, ingrain Ikhlaas in themselves, meditate on their infractions and understand the real Maqsood. They should not commit the fatal blunder of viewing our Naseehat as destructive criticism. Hadhrat Yahya Bin Muaaz (Rahmatullah alayh) said:
“Your Brother is he who alerts you to your deficiencies and your Friend is he who warns you of your sins.”
May Allah Ta’ala guide us all and save us from the villainy of our nafs and the snares of Iblees.
6 Safar 1441 (5 October 2019)
A Brother from the Tabligh Jamaat of Australia writes:
I live in Australia. The Tabligh Jamaat Effort changed the Lives of Most of the Muslims in Australia.
(Have you done a proper survey of ‘most of the Muslims’ in Australia? If yes, please forward the results of your survey. –The Majlis)
Thousand of muslims have changed their ways from the road to Jahannum to the Road towards the mercy of Allah. Hundreds of Mosques are the result of the efforts of Tabligh. Many Ulama from South Africa have come to Australia to serve as PAID ulema by members of Tabligh. The Tabilgh has increased Fiqr for all Humanity and we send Jamaats to all countries of the world and our Jamaats consist of members from 31 Countries. Very few if any, South Africans). (Our advice is that the jamaats should work only within the borders of Australia, and not waste money on globe-trotting unnecessarily. There is no need for Australians to do tabligh, Tabligh Jamaat style, in other countries. There are ample folk in all countries for this type of tabligh. – The Majlis
Our Amir is Egyptian who has spend his last 50 Years establishing Madrassas, Darul Ulooms and still sending Jamaats to the world and neighbouring Islands and reviving Islam. We assure you that the South African Jamaats coming to Australia are very embarrassing and a Poor example of the Beautiful Work of Tabligh. (We are in full agreement with you on this point. They are in fact hoodlums, puffed with pride and arrogance. They despise even great Ulama and Auliya who are not associated with their specific tabligh methodology which is NOT Sunnah. They have even exacerbated the hostility between the two Tablighi baatil factions.- The Majlis)
I humbly request that you restrict your analysis and Critic of the South African Tabligh to the South African context. (Our comments appear hereunder – The Majlis)
There are now 3 Groups in Jamaat: the deviant Saad Group, the Conflicting Laat Group, and the group in Australia who are just simply adhering to Dawah in all its Forms as was originally guided by Nizamudin but now operates only in guidance from Allah and Rasoolallah (saw). (What is the meaning of ‘saw’? You are a Tablighi and supposed to have greater respect and honour for Rasulullah –Sallallahu alayhi wasallam. Is it then too onerous to write: Sallallahu alayhi wasallam? Why content yourself with the drivel of ‘saw’? In terms of your diagnosis there should be four Tablighi groups. You have omitted the Raiwand deviated group. – The Majlis).
Yes, we are removing any Bidah practises of Tabligh, as new participants are from various countries and Background, including Sheikh Worship etc, and the worst of the Ulema-e-soo we find are from South Africa. (Alhamdulillah! You have diagnosed correctly. The molvis of South Africa and the molvis of the U.K. are most certainly the worst ulama -e-soo’ under the “canopy of the sky” as mentioned by Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam). They are making a stinking, wretched hogwash of the Deen with their shaitaaniyat and nafsaaniyat. Most of these ‘muftis’ are maajinmoron fellows who are unable to distinguish between right and left, light and darkness. – The Majlis)
May Allah save the Umma from Shirk inshallah and having to ask everyone involved in the Efforts of Tabilgh and Deen for Forgiveness as Not All of us involved in Tabligh are Bereft of Sunnah and love of Allah or in Need of Improvement and Guidance from Allah.
Please send a Delegation to Australia to look on the Gound level inshallah.
Was Salaam (End of the Brother’s lament)
You are the first Tablighi in all the decades of our life who has conceded that there is Bid’ah in the Tabligh Jamaat. In fact, Bid’ah and Ghulu’ (haraam bigotry) are rife in the Jamaat. It is this evil which has split the Jamaat into two hostile factions, each one waging shaitaani ‘jihad’ against the other. Our criticism cannot be restricted to the South African scenario. The deviance of the Jamaat exists in other countries as well, not only in South Africa. It is at its height in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and United Kingdom. In the U.S.A. as well as other countries too, the evil of the split initiated by Sa’d has been imported.
If the Australian Tabligh Jamaat is as you have described, then you are most fortunate for not having been dragged into the cauldron of the shaitaaniyyat in which the Jamaat is floundering. Continue the good work on the six principles of the original Founder of the Jamaat. Abstain totally from ghulu’. There are numerous excesses and haraam acts of the Tabligh Jamaat from which it is imperative to abstain. The work of the Jamaat will be beneficial only if it is retained within the confines of the Shariah. It is essential that Jamaatis understand that the Tabligh Jamaat is not the sole repository of Najaat (Salvation) as is being satanically propagated. The haraam extremism prevailing among the rank and file is actually the teaching emanating from the elders of the Jamaat. Stupid laymen acquit themselves as if they are great ‘ulama’. The degree of arrogance and pride in the Tabligh jamaat is appalling and lamentable.
Your comment regarding the South African ulama is 100% correct. However, this rotten condition applies to almost all the ulama of all countries in this era. In terms of the description provided by Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam), “they are the worst of people under the canopy of the sky”. They betray the Deen, the Ummah, Allah Ta’ala and His Rasool (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) with their haraam, stupid fatwas of liberalism designed for bootlicking to fulfil the demands of hubb-e-jah (love of fame) and hubb-e-maal (love of wealth). Thus they distort and mutilate the Shariah to justify their convoluted ideas and to argue away the prohibitions of Allah Ta’ala. They ruin the Imaan and Akhlaaq of the masses. The Tabligh Jamaat has also been performing this evil function. The Jamaat has become notorious for its ghulu’. Beware of such bigotry. Remain rigidly clinging to your six principles. The Tabligh Jamaat of this era has added an unwritten principle to their six. The seventh principle is Ihaanatul Muslim, i.e. to disgrace Muslims. Formerly they directed this shaitaaniyyat to those Ulama, even to Hadhrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (Rahmatullah alayh), who are not associated with their specific tabligh methodology. They slanderously accused great Ulama of being anti-Tabligh. That is because they themselves do not understand the meaning of Tabligh.
As long as you remain within the limits of the Shariah, you will, InshaAllah, be successful in your efforts and Allah Ta’ala will then reward you abundantly. Wassalaam