DISEASES ARE NOT CONTAGIOUS, BUT THE EFFECTS OF SINS ARE!
FROM THE MALFOOZAAT OF HAKEEMUL UMMAT MOULANA ASHRAF ALI THANWI RAHIMAHULLAH
Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “LAA ADWAA – There is no contagion.” “A sick person does not infect a healthy person.”
Author: Hakeem-ul-Ummat Hadhrat Moulana Ashraf ‘Ali Saheb Thanwi (rahimahullaahu Ta’ala)
In the Name of Allah Ta’ala, the Most Kind and the Most Merciful
All praises are for Allah Ta’ala, the Nourisher of this world,
And prayers and salutations be upon His Nabi,
Our Leader Muhammad (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wa sallam), and his children and his companions.
In our time, the permissibility or impermissibility of Western education is often discussed. Since the proofs of the majority of either side are not enough for a decisive answer, hence, every day the (severity of this) controversy increases without a (satisfying,) authentic answer (from a qualified researcher). We found it suitable that we should decide (i.e. the answer to this mas’alah) according to our opinion.
We hope that it would be enough for the (reader to) judge. As for the fossilized, no speech or writing has ever proven enough, and there is no hope (of it happening) in the future.
MAULANA ASHRAF ALI THANVI R.A.
Q. A pious shaykh who is a non-Alim, in his bayaan citing Hadhrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (Rahmatullah alayh), spoke in favour of western education. Please listen to the bayaan, and comment on his views. Is his view valid? Jazaakalaah.
We have listened to the six minute bayaan. The Shaykh Sahib is confused. While he mentions Hadhrat Thanvi’s naseehat, he fails to understand that:
1) No one says that secular education is haraam.
2) No one says that science in toto is haraam.
3) No one prohibits employment (nokri).
4) No one prohibits earning wealth.
5) No one says that earning is not necessary.
However, the pursuit of these objects is haraam if undertaken in haraam ways. If the pursuit of lawful worldly objectives entails plunging into haraam, fisq, fujoor and kufr, then such pursuit is haraam. Pursuing worldly objectives via universities and the like leads to the worst of moral and Imaani corruptions. The shaykh Sahib is quiet on all the corruption and evils which are concomitant to the pursuit of western education. He does not even mention what happens to females in universities. The manner in which the shaykh spoke about English ta’leem confirms that he is either ignorant of the evils and destruction to Imaan and Akhlaaq caused by western education or he is intentionally passing over these evils in order to condone such pursuits.
THE MAJLIS VOLUME 26 NUMBER 01
EVERY MUSLIM WHO is still conscious of the Deen and the goals of the Aakhirah will have no alternative other than to concede that almost every newspaper in the country is pornographic. What then is the Shariah’s reaction to reading such evil, satanic slut papers? The practice of Hakimul Ummah Maulana Ashraf Ali Thaanvi (rahmatullah alayh) will throw some light on this question and offer guidance for us.
During the 1930’s newspapers, even kuffaar ones, were exceptionally conservative and dignified. Even kuffaar governments censored and excised moral filth from the papers. A Muslim paper in the Urdu language used to be delivered to Hadhrat Thaanvi (rahmatullah alayh). It was an Urdu paper devoid of pictures and the filthy gossip and slander stories which adorn the slut papers of this era. Since there is always a need for the Ulama, especially those to whom the community refers for Deeni guidance and Fatwa, to stay abreast with developments, Hadhrat Thaanvi (rahmatullah alayh) permitted the Urdu paper to be delivered to his Khaanqah. However, Hadhrat Thaanvi would not read the paper nor look at it. Hadhrat’s method was to ask one of his mureeds to read out only the headlines of the articles and reports. The mureed would read the headlines and Hakimul Ummat would listen. If any article attracted his attention, he would ask the mureed to read it for him. After the paper was completed in this manner, Hadhrat Thaanvi would take it away to prevent others in the Khaanqah from reading it. This was the caution which Hadhrat Thaanvi (rahmatullah alayh) had adopted with regard to newspapers which were completely bereft of the filth, muck, slut and pornography in which almost every newspaper excels today. Undoubtedly, it is haraam to allow children to read these pornographic papers. Also for adults it is not permissible to relish and derive pleasure from the haraam pictures, and from the gossip and slander stories. In fact, it is not permissible to introduce these papers into the home. A man should feel ashamed of bringing home a paper in whose pages pornographic pictures are splashed. He has a wife, daughters and sons at home. Only a dishonourable husband/father is able to allow his family to daily indulge in zina of the eyes and mind thereby corrupting their spirituality and Imaan. Wives too have become utterly shameless. Like their western kuffaar immoral counterparts, they are able to tolerate their husbands savouring their nafs and contaminating their Imaan with the almost nude pictures of immoral women. They should then not become surprised and despondent when the attention of their husbands is diverted from them to the filthy Aids-Carriers they see in the streets. These immoral papers should never be left lying around the home. The Malaaikah of Rahmat most certainly do not grace such houses with their auspicious presence. The home then becomes an abode for the shayaateen.
MAJLIS VOL 17 NUMBER 9
Q. Is it permissible to use loudspeakers for Salaat?
A. Due to the ignorance of the masses and the inaad (enmity), jahaalat (ignorance), and nafsaaniyat (submission to base desire) of even the Ulama, it is best that we present the Fatawa of the Akaabireen whom even the non-entities accept as Seniors.
- Hadhrat Mufti Mahmudul Hasan Gangohi (rahmatullah alayh) said:
“Loud speakers should not be used in Salaat. The Imaam Sahib should put a stop to it.” (Fataawa Mahmudiyyah, Vol.2, page 128)
- In Fataawa Raheemiyyah, Vol. 1, page 209, it is said: “Whether the voice transmitted by the loudspeaker is the original voice or an artificial representation of the original voice (such as an echo), there is difference of opinion among the experts (the technologists). (There is no longer any difference of opinion of the experts on this issue. Besides the consensus of the experts, it is just common sense that the voice which reaches a kilometre away is not the original or actual voice. The voice is ‘rebuilt’ after its ‘capture’, then transmitted. The sound which reaches the ears of the audience, is the sound of the reproduced voice of the speaker. It is never the original voice—The Majlis) If it is the reproduced voice, then the Iqtida will not be valid by following the voice……Even if it is not a reproduction (but is the original voice), then too there is no permission for the utilization of a loudspeaker in Salaat because it is in conflict with the simplicity which is the characteristic of Islamic acts of ibaadat. Hadhrat Shah Waliyullah (rahmatullah alayh) said that encumbrances and pretence in ibaadat are among the factors which alter the Deen. This was the malady in which the priests of the Yahood and Nasaara were involved. In addition, a loudspeaker interferes with the khushoo’ of Salaat. There is more corruption than benefit in using a loudspeaker for Salaat, hence the Shariah does not permit it. Furthermore, there is no need for a loudspeaker in Salaat because the validity and perfection of the Salaat are not dependent on hearing the recitation of the Imaam. An arrangement could be made for relaying the Takbeeraat-e- Intiqaal by means of appointing (human) Mukhabbireen (proclaimers). It is also improper to use a loudspeaker for the khutbah…”
- In an elaborate Fatwa of a number of pages, Hakimul Ummat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thaanvi (rahmatullah alayh) stated the impermissibility of using a loudspeaker for Salaat. (Imdaadul Fataawa, Vol.`1, from page 581 to 600)
- Extract from a lengthy fatwa of Hadhrat Husain Ahmad Madani (rahmatullah alayh): “The Salaat of all those who perform their Salaat on the basis of this instrument is faasid (invalid)….It is therefore necessary to refrain from using it. All the arguments which have been presented for permissibility or preferability of the loudspeaker, from the Fiqhi angle, does not carry the weight of a grain of wheat (in other words, all such arguments are devoid of substance).” Imdaadul Fataawa, Vol.1, page 598 There is consensus of all our senior Ulama on the prohibition of using loudspeakers for Salaat and Khutbah.
THE MAJLIS VOLUME 18 NUMBER 01
by: Hakeemul Ummah Hadhrat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thaanwi (Rahmatullah Alayh)
Associate much with Ulama and enquire from them the Masaa’il (i.e. rules pertaining to one’s daily life)
Read authentic Deeni books, e.g. Bihishti zewer and practise in accordance to what you learn.
Do not wear garments which are un-Islamic.. e.g. it is sinful to wear the trousers below the ankles; western garb, silken clothing, bright feminine colours. Dress Islamically.
Do not cut or shave the beard. It is, however, permissible to cut the beard which is in excess of a fist-length. It is not permissible to cut the beard to less than a fist’s length.
Abstain from all customs which are in conflict with the Shariah, be such practices and customs in worldly or religious form, e.g. customs of Moulood, Faatihah, urs, marriage, circumcision, feeding guests for the sake of name, three-day, seven-day, Khatams, Muharram, Shab-e-Baraa’t, etc. abstain from all un-Islamic customs pertaining to these events.
Do not participate in fairs, shows and amusements nor allow your children to attend such functions. Do not give your children money to spend in such nonsensical and evil practices. Do not allow them to participate in fireworks nor permit them toys on which there are pictures of people of animals.
Guard your tongue against gheebat and abuse.
Perform the five Salaat daily with Jamaa’t.
Do not cast your gaze deliberately on women or lads.
Do not listen to singing and music.
Do not seek ta’weez and talismans from you Shaikh for everything. Rather seek the Deen from him. However, there is no objection in asking him to make dua for you.
Do not adopt the attitude that you cannot go to the Shaikh if you have no gift to present.
Never believe that the Shaikh is at all times aware of your condition.
Do not study books of Tasawwuf which have not been prescribed by your Shaikh.
Never discuss the question of Taqdeer (Predestination)
Abstain from bribery and riba (of which interest is the most popular form). Abstain from all transactions which are in conflict with the Shariah.
Do not act in accordance with dreams without first having ascertained the ruling of the Shariah.
Should you visit the Shaikh, do not disturb him if he is engaged in some activity. Go into his presence when the opportunity arises.
Study the books, Ta’leemu Talib, Ta’leemud Deen and Jazaaul A’mal (Insha’Allah, these works will b rendered into English – Translator)
Extract from: Qasdus Sabeel Ilal Maulal Jaleel – The straight path to Al-Maulaa il Jaleel ( Allah, The Friend, The Protector, The Glorious)